More than $100,000,000 to improve lives.
Established in 1985, United Support of Artists for Africa is best known for its 1985 recording of “We Are The World” and the “Hands Across America” event in 1986. In these 30 years, USA for Africa has raised more than $100,000,000 to help ease the pain of poverty in Africa and the United States. Our challenge seemed insurmountable, but our spirits stayed strong. We accomplished our goal of creating opportunities to make a difference.
USA for Africa and Hands Across America decided that the best way to help alleviate poverty and hunger was to a) partner with local and regional organizations who operated local programs and b) target specific issues that were impacting people and their communities most.
The priority issues chosen for action were:
- Famine Relief
- Agriculture and water
- Women and Children
- Education & Training /Capacity Building
- Climate Change
- Hunger and Homeless
- Climate Change: Exploring climate change seeking practical responses
- Hunger: Defeating hunger in a land of plenty
- Homelessness: An American tragedy for all too many can be fixed
- Women and Children: Helping families thrive in spite of few or no resources
- Health: Without health, progress cannot be made
- Development: African / International Development Organizations
- Education: Opening options for education at all ages